Selecting the Access Method
When you configure settings in Citrix XenApp or Citrix XenDesktop, you need to select the access method. These settings determine how users connect to a server farm. For more information, see the Web Interface documentation in the Technologies node in Citrix eDocs at http://edocs.citrix.com.
- Direct. The XenApp online plug-ins connects to the real IP address of the target XenApp server. Use this method if users connect from the local area network (LAN) or if users has established a connection using the Access Gateway Plug-in.
- Alternate. This functions the same as Direct, except users connect to an alternate IP address instead of the real IP address of the XenApp server. The alternate IP address is defined on each XenApp server using the command ALTADDR on XenApp.
- Translated. This functions the same as Alternate, except the alternate address for each XenApp server is defined in the Web Interface configuration instead of by running ALTADDR on each XenApp server.
- Gateway Direct. The XenApp online plug-ins initiates an SSL connection to the FQDN of the Access Gateway, which then terminates the SSL connection and completes an ICA connection to the real address of the target XenApp server. This method relies on the Secure Ticket Authority (STA) to validate incoming connections. This method is used if users are outside the LAN and have not established a connection using the Access Gateway Plug-in. The Access Gateway Plug-in is not required for this connection type, but the plug-in can be used.
- Gateway Alternate. This functions the same as Gateway Direct, except the Access Gateway makes a connection to the alternate address of the XenApp server as defined using the command ALTADDR.
- Gateway Translated. This functions the same as Gateway Alternate, except the Access Gateway makes a connection to the alternate address of the XenApp server as defined in the Web Interface configuration.
If users are connecting through the Access Gateway to a server farm, Citrix recommends using Gateway Direct.